Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Playgrounds of the past; Toof-Chippers Revolt!

I was devastated to find one day driving around the sprawling campus at work that some construction workers were removing a playground in a park owned by the company for use by the company. No they didn't replace it with modern super playground sets that you find all over the place. They just ripped it out. I am pretty sure there were reasonable insurance related reasons why these spring loaded implements of fun were taken out, but it is just apalling to me either way.

The playground consisted of 3 spring loaded, cast iron animals and a 4 way spring thing. It was tucked as far back as something could get in this park, under the trees and behind the pavilion.

Now I like to call all playground pieces that are hard like that and contain springs toof-chippers. and the world has 4 less toof-chippers now as a result of corporate paranoia. I can just hear the leadership team now, discussing this right now.

  • "Do you believe that we have iron, spring loaded playground rides in our corporate park?"
  • "Oh dear, what will we do if New York finds out about this?"
  • "We should just get rid of them. We don't need to do anything to let on that we aren't team players."
  • "Maybe we can work the removal into a site cost savings budget slide somehow..."
  • "Great idea, this will help us save millions in possible insurance claims when kids chip their teeth."
Oh please just give me a break.

Anyway, as I was out on a walk the other day I came across a playground in a public park that has a 4 way toof-chipper and a cool concrete jungle gym. I thought I would share those with you here, since you never know when the city is going to catch on that they have a possible law suit on their hands...